Thursday, May 23, 2013

Greek Grilled Vegetable Flat Bread Sandwich

Recipe contributed by: Dhara Balwa

We have a small Greek restaurant near our home that serves yummy food. One of my favorites is the Roasted Vegetable Pita Sandwich. Now, good or bad(Should we do a poll?), as soon as I taste something I like, the first thing that comes in my mind is 'How much effort it takes to make it at home?' And of course I have to try and recreate it at least once. The easier and/or quicker ones stick in the regular home menu and for others all I can say, 'I am proud I attempted' :) That being said, some of my friends don't approve much of this curiosity of mine and they insist if I start making all the things at home, I would end up hardly eating out ( Friends, FYI it hasn't happened so far!) All I can say is I am a big foodie and I always look forward to eating out. The main reason being not cleaning up afterwards. :)

So, in connection to this part of story of my life, this recipe is inspired from the pita sandwich. They use Tzatziki as a spread, feta cheese which I omitted as I don't really feel the need of it and roasted vegetables. I used the flat bread as it is easier to eat and more flavorful as the spread actually spreads every where. I found these great flat breads from Costco called Roll Ups. Very soft and super healthy. It was a successful experiment and needless to say, it is now a part of my home menu. Plus with grilling season here, it would be a good addition to your grill parties too.

Photo by Dhara Balwa

Serves: 5
Prep time: 10 min plus 2 hours to marinate vegetables; Cook time: 15 min
Difficulty level: Easy

Ingredients:

5 nos. Square Flat Bread
15 Tbsp. Tzatziki
1 large Zucchini
1 medium Yellow Squash
1 small Green Bell Pepper
1 small Red Bell Pepper
1 medium Eggplant
20 nos. Button Mushrooms
1 + 1/2 tsp. Oregano
3/4 tsp. Thyme
4 tsp. Olive Oil (You can use more if you like) + to coat the grill pan
Black Pepper Powder as per your liking
Salt as per taste

Method:

1) Cut all vegetable except eggplant and mushrooms in finger style as shown in picture above. Put them in a mixing bowl.

2) Add 1 tsp. of oregano and approx. half tsp. of thyme, 1 1/2 tsp. oil to the vegetables and mix well. Cover and let is marinate for 2 hours.

3) Slice mushrooms in three parts vertically. Put them in a separate bowl and add a little from the remaining oregano and thyme, 1/2 tsp. oil. Toss it all to mix well and marinate it for 2 hours too.

4) When almost two hours are done, cut the eggplant in finger style too and add the remaining oregano, thyme and 1 tsp. oil and a little salt to it. Mix well. The reason we didn't marinate them with others is that eggplants changes color if kept cut for long time. Also note that I have not added salt in any vegetables. The reason being they turn limp while grilling.

5) Heat up your griller or grill pan. When it is hot , spray/coat with oil and cook the vegetable mix in batches. Note, keep mushrooms for the end as they shed a lot of water and it is better to grill them separately.

6) Once the vegetables have cooled down a little, add salt and pepper.

7) Now, clean the grill pan a bit and keep it on high heat. Place the flat bread on it. Warm it on one side and flip. Keep it for longer time on the other side until you see grill marks. Take it off heat. You can use oil/butter while heating up the bread.

8) On the flat with the side without marks, spread 3 Tbsp. of Tzatziki uniformly on entire flat bread.

9) Add the vegetables on half side and fold the bread making a sandwich as shown in picture above.

Serve with extra Tzatziki if you like.

Note: You can add red chili flakes and garlic to the marinade too. You can add crumbled Feta cheese at the end after placing the vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment