Monday, May 20, 2013

Granola

Recipe contributed by: Dhara Balwa

The other morning, I was having my cereal and I thought why not try making my own cereal! I googled in search of good recipes and came across Julie's Willow Bird Baking website that has a treasure of baking recipes. Besides the cereal recipe that I adapted from her website, on the same page was the recipe of granola. It looked easy and delicious. You can find both her recipes by following the link here. http://willowbirdbaking.com/2010/08/11/48-homemade-breakfast-cereals/

For the cereal, the only change I made was instead of using just almond flour, I just churned some toasted almonds, walnuts and cashews equivalent to 1/3 cup. For Granola, I have made a few changes according to my liking. Combine the two of them and throw in your favorite add-ins and the result is a delicious breakfast.


Recipe adapted from: Willow Bird Baking
Serves: 6-7
Prep Time: 10 min Cook time: 5 min + 40-45 min (Bake time)
Difficulty level: Easy

Ingredients:

3 cups Rolled Oats
1/4 cup Clover Honey
1/8 cup Olive Oil
3/4 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Sweetened Shredded Coconut
1 tsp. Salt

Method:

1) Preheat the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine oats and coconut in a bowl.

2) Take a cooking pan and add honey, oil and salt to it. Mix well and cook until the mixture starts simmering. Quickly take it off heat and add the vanilla extract.

3) Add this mixture to the oats mixture and combine them.

4) Line a wide baking pan with parchment paper and spread the oats mixture evenly. Put it in the oven and do 2 cycles of around 10 minutes stirring the mixture every 10 minutes.

5) After 2 cycles reduce the temperature to 275 degrees Fahrenheit and toast the oats for another 25 min stirring every 8 minutes.

Let the granola cool in the pan itself. Once cooled, store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment