Friday, June 14, 2013

Mango Ice cream

Recipe contributed by Dhara Balwa

As I said, lot of mango recipes will be on this blog through the summer. This recipe was possible thanks to my brother who gifted me an ice cream maker for my birthday. I wanted mango ice cream to be the first one to try on the machine. And I wasn't disappointed. It turned out creamy and fluffy. The taste reminds me of a local ice cream store in my state. How just few simple ingredients can mix and make the best of dishes! This is one such dessert. Keep in mind that as no stabilizers are used, this ice cream melts quickly once out of freezer. I like it with a little soft consistency. So it works perfectly for me.  You can make it without an ice cream maker too but I am not sure about the consistency and the texture. Plus it takes a lot of time and attention when making ice cream by hand. But if you are up to it then go ahead and try it. The taste will be the same.



Serves: 8 servings (1/2 cup each)
Prep time: 30 min + time to cool the ingredients and preparing ice cream maker
Difficulty level: Easy

Ingredients:

1 cup Heavy Cream
1 1/4 cup Half and Half
1 1/2 cup very ripe small pieces of Mangoes
2/3 cup Granulated Sugar
1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
Pinch of salt

Method:

1) Crush the mangoes to pulp like texture with a chopper or blender and keep aside.

2) In a deep mixing bowl, add half and half, sugar and salt and mix or whip with blender until sugar dissolves completely.

3) Once sugar is dissolved, mix in heavy cream, mango pulp and vanilla extract until it is mixed uniformly.

4) Cool the mixture in refrigerator in the coolest corner for about 2 hours.

5) I have a 1 1/2 quart Cuisinart ice cream maker that makes ice cream in 20 min from the cooled mixture. Follow your ice cream maker's instructions ( Make sure you don't make more ice cream than it's capacity) to freeze. If making without ice cream maker, freeze the mixture directly in an air tight container and take it out of freezer every two hours and whip it till frozen to creamy, airy texture.

Enjoy with fresh mango pieces topping or drizzle some mango pulp.

No comments:

Post a Comment